Assistant General Counsel - Work From HomeJob ID R-5858 Date Posted 08/08/2022 Location Sacramento, California Schedule/Shift Regular/Days
Organization:SHSO-Sutter Health System Office-Bay
Position Overview:This is a work from home eligible role. The candidate must live in the Sutter footprint in Northern California and be able to come on site as needed for meetings, etc.
Manages a particular business line or program, directing the work of attorneys or consultants. Serves as a subject matter expert in particular areas, and leads or provides content expertise in one or more legal service lines. Manages complex legal and operational issues, and provides legal advice, counsel and guidance on a range of topics within own general practice area, Develops legal tools, and assists affiliates in operationalizing legal advice efficiently and effectively. Manages outside counsel's work and associated expenses.
These Principal Accountabilities, Requirements and Qualifications are not exhaustive, but are merely the most descriptive of the current job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, staff changes, workload, or technical development).
• Manages a particular legal service line or program, and partners with leadership and business leaders on developing and implementing action plans to operationalize legal advice.
• Manages and leads the legal service line team including hiring, mentoring, and overseeing performance.
• Serves as a subject matter expert in particular areas, leading or providing content expertise for one or more legal service line teams.
• Manages complex legal and operational issues where multiple programs or legal issues may overlap, serving as the key point of contact and representing the system, affiliate or group of affiliates in complex legal proceedings.
• Provides legal advice, counsel and guidance on a range of topics, evaluating and balancing legal risks with business needs and Identifying emerging areas of risk.
• Develops legal tools, drafts system policies or recommends new procedures to enhance legal compliance or to reduce risk, and provides advice on policy interpretation or drafts.
• Rounds with staff, leaders and other stakeholders to gather informal feedback, and to stay on top of items/issues needing prompt attention or recognition.
• Provides consultation to leaders on legal trends and issues with operational and/or strategic importance.
• Assesses litigation, audits, disputes, and/or regulatory actions filed against or on behalf of one or more affiliates, and collaborates with management team to develop strategy to handle the case or to determine appropriate outcome.
• Leads departmental goal setting process, and provides roadmap for accomplishing goals. Monitors progress, developing action plans to address issues and challenges.
• Develops plan of action to address current and future resource needs to meet service and/or operational demands and objectives.
• Participates in and/or facilitate ad-hoc committees and task forces to collaborate or support new or ongoing initiatives and/or to provide legal expertise.
• Manages operational budget via effective utilization of personnel, resources and supplies, including expenses associated with outside counsel/consultants.
• Reviews financial reports, and develops and implements corrective action plans to address unfavorable variances.
• Monitors team productivity, ensuring operational challenges are addressed timely.
• Reviews and approves employee expense reimbursements, and billing invoices from vendors according to established protocol.
• Provides and fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages staff engagement and collaboration, establishing a culture of teamwork.
• Supervises assigned staff, external counsel and consultants, makes employment decisions, and reviews and approves timekeeping records.
• Establishes expectations, and holds individuals and work teams accountable, and evaluates staff performance.
• Provides constructive feedback, coaching and counseling. Implements disciplinary actions and/or performance improvement plans to achieve desired performance.
• Monitors department training and orientation plans, ensuring staff meets competency requirements and participates in appropriate education and training programs.
Equivalent experience will be accepted in lieu of the required degree or diploma.
Doctorate: Juris Doctorate - Law
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
ATT-Attorney Upon Hire
RIHC-Registered In House Counsel within 30 Days of hire
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AS TYPICALLY ACQUIRED IN:
12 years experience with progressively responsibility in post-bar legal affairs.
12 years experience handling complex legal issues/transactions specific to position’s area of focus (e.g., healthcare services and/or reimbursement, health insurance, data security and privacy, ethics and compliance, contracting, intellectual property, business transactions/taxation, labor relations and/or employment).
12 years experience working in a mid- to large sized law firm or an in-house legal department.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Substantial working knowledge of current laws, regulations and issues within area of practice/specialty.
Working knowledge of state and federal rules of civil procedures, court system, legal processes, and other applicable laws and regulations as relevant to position or area of practice/specialty.
Ability to provide sound and practical advice on complex legal and business matters while balancing legal risks with business needs.
Ability to think creatively and strategically in formulating legal advice and counsel.
Ability to influence others by persuasion, negotiation, and problem solving, and to move others to recognize and appreciate different points of view and to consider/accept alternative options.
Ability to bring individuals together to resolve differences and/or to achieve acceptance of a solution.
Critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to identify and analyze emerging legal trends/issues.
Ability to operate strategically and tactically.
Strategic skills for reviewing processes and strategies to ensure successful alignment with business needs and for identifying improvement opportunities.
Organization and planning skills to effectively delegate, manage and/or re-prioritize activities and projects to meet deadlines wihle maintaining a high degree of responsiveness.
Demonstrates credible leadership presence, with the ability to respond to questions with logic, clarity, calmness and authority.
Demonstrates a proactive approach to identifying and resolving issues to manage/minimize risks.
Ability to interact and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of role’s duties while respecting cultural and linguistic differences and fostering an inclusive work environment
Ability to communicate through verbal and written means, and to provide clear and concise legal advice and counsel to a variety of stakeholders.
Ability to work effectively in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with changing business priorities.
Displays integrity and ethics in handling privileged, confidential and sensitive information.
Ability to use essential applications and/or databases associated with the role’s duties and responsibilities.
Days of the Week:Friday, Monday, Thursday, Tuesday, Wednesday
This position is work from home eligible.
Number of Openings:1
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.Apply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started