Remote Professional Services Coder (Temporary)Job ID CWP-2107090 Date Posted 05/18/2021 Location Roseville, California Schedule/Shift Temporary/Contract/ Day
Thank you for your interest in temporary contract opportunities with RightSourcing at Sutter Health and wanting to assist our team that proudly cares for more than 3 million of our neighbors across Northern California.
Assigns ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes, CPT-4 and modifiers for hospital outpatient or professional specialty encounters. Abstracts andcodesAcute Outpatient Surgery, Observation, Emergency Department or Provider Specialty encounters asassigned based on functionalexpertise. Determines appropriate diagnoses and procedures for outpatient encounters, regardless of complexity, in accordance will all applicable coding rules andregulatory standards.
Assigns or validates medical diagnosis and surgical procedure codesandabstracts necessarydata elements for billing,reimbursement andstate reporting. This datais used to establish a statistical database whichis used throughout theorganization for medical staffimprovementactivities, clinicaleffectiveness and outcome studies, medical staff credentialing, administrativeplanning,researchand to meet regulatoryreporting requirements.
Reviews and resolves OCE, NCCI and medical necessity edits associated with hospital outpatient and professional specialty encounters, as determined by role. Ensures all collecteddata is accurate,complete and compliantwithstate and federal regulations as well as Official Guidelines forCoding and Reporting andSutter definedcoding policies and procedures. This position ensuresthat encounters are abstractedand finalized accurately andinaccordancewithdefined service level agreements. May assist in resolving claim denials related to coding errors or documentation inconsistencies, performs coding changes or charge corrections and rebills encounter as required for resolution.
Supportsthe successof a high-performingsharedservices organizationby helpingto championanddrivethe long-termSutterSharedServicesvision.Helpsfoster an environment in whichcontinuousimprovement inbusiness processesandservices iswelcomedandrecognized.Participates inprogramsand in usingtoolsin support of building a highperformanceculture via standard Sutter Shared Services responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement,peopledevelopment,customer relationshipmanagement, etc.).
High school diploma/GED required.
AA/AS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience desired.
Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) required.
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) desired.
• Demonstrates experience and a proven track record in Coding in a facility of significant size and complexity, hospital business operations, information systems, and coding applications, as typically acquired in 3-5 years of experience performing acute care inpatient, outpatient, and/or emergency department coding
• Experience participating in Coding standards, processes, policies, procedures and service level agreements
• Experience in complex regional/ shared service environment with multiple/ matrix reporting relationships preferred
• Knowledge of hospital inpatient, outpatient, and/or emergency department coding rules, Ambulatory Payment Classifications and Diagnosis Related Group assignment logic, National Correct Coding Initiative edits, Coding Clinic and Current Procedural Terminology Assistant coding guidelines
• In-depth knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, patient health record content and the medical record coding process
• Knowledge of computer based encoder systems and accurate data entry skills
• Strong working knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pharmacology
• Familiarity with billing functions and the components of a charge description master
• General knowledge of Revenue Cycle applications, including Electronic Health Record systems
• General knowledge/ awareness of all areas related to Coding and how they interrelate
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques related to compliant healthcare billing/collections
• Familiarity with Coding management functions in acute and non-acute settings
• Knowledge of Patient Management information system applications, preferably EPIC
• Ability to work closely with medical staff and other departments to create a complete and accurate database of clinical and demographic data while ensuring appropriate coding
• Ability to run reports needed to improve patient care
• Ability to comprehend and retain information that can be applied to work procedures to achieve appropriate service delivery
• Requires strong accuracy, attentiveness to detail and time management skills for translating complex medical documentation into diagnostic classification system codes
• Aptitude to conceptualize, plan, and implement stated goals and objectives
• Ability to manage own schedule and responsibilities. Must have initiative to work effectively without constant supervision and direction, meeting all deadlines
• Ability to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in a fast paced environment with identified productivity requirements and with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles
• High-level problem identification/ mitigation/ resolution and analytical skills
• Ability to develop effective working relationships/ networks within and outside the organization
• Excellent ability to communicate ideas both verbally and in writing to interact with others using on-on-one contact and group discussions
• Ability to recognize the appropriate style, level of detail, and message for the audience
• Computer keyboarding skills and experience with computerized coding/abstracting systems and encoders Ability to use spreadsheet, word processing, statistical, project management, and presentation software applications, preferably Microsoft Suite
• Ability to read and interpret complex medical records
• Ability to learn new applications/software systems effectively and efficiently
• Ability to comply with Sutter Health policies and procedures
• Requires the ability to work with and maintain confidential information
Employee Status: Temporary
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours:8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled:Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period:80
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started