Release of Information SpecialistJob ID CWP-2105549 Date Posted 05/05/2021 Location Palo Alto, California Schedule/Shift Temporary/Contract/ Day
Thank you for your interest in temporary contract opportunities with RightSourcing at Sutter Health and wanting to assist our team that proudly cares for more than 3 million of our neighbors across Northern California.
Sutter Gould Medical Foundation (SGMF)is a non-profit, multi-specialty health care organization affiliated with Sutter Health. Based in Modesto, SGMF provides quality medical care, health education and research activities in a five-county area. SGMF's medical staff includes family practitioners, internists and pediatricians, as well as a range of specialist physicians. Services include imaging, nuclear medicine, a health library, health education programs, occupational medicine, diabetes education, nutrition counseling, infertility counseling, weight management.
POSITION SUMMARY: Primary responsibilities associated with those of a Release of Information Specialist include fulfilling requests for release of medical information by examining both electronic and paper based records to determine type of document, scope of authorization and legality of release.This position must be able to identify and designate the type of release and coordinate with it the applicable laws associated with such. Detailed knowledge of applicable laws to include but not limited to California Patient Access Law of 1984, California Medical Information Act, and the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 required for this position, as well as knowledge of evidentiary code associated with subpoena of documents. This position must be an advocate for the patient in protecting privacy and questioning authorizations while maintaining the Minimum Necessary Standard under HIPPA, and satisfying the request for information. Position actively participates in department meeting, "Huddles" and other meetings as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Proof of successful completion of basic anatomy and medical terminology is required.
- Professional Medical Office Certificate is preferred.
- Typing certificate for 35 wpm is required (at time of interview).
- Registered Health Information Technician certification highly desired but not required.
- Previous experience working with both paper based and electronic medical records required.
- Working knowledge of chart tracking procedures within EPIC preferred.
- Working knowledge of EPIC preferred.
- The employee must have previous experience handling medical records to the degree and ability of determining types of documents and specialties necessary to fulfill the requirements of this position.
- Previous experience working with and understanding with electronic scanning devices beneficial but not required.
- Previous experience with registration systems preferred.
- Command of the English language required.
- The employee must be able to communicate well with others.
- A working knowledge of computer systems and their software applications is essential for this position.
- A knowledge of what constitutes excellent customer service and going the extra mile is required.
- This position must have legible handwriting sufficient for data entry operators to recognize and decipher.
- This position must have working knowledge of medical terminology sufficient to identify medical reports by anatomy and terminology.
- Must be able to recognize medical specialties and associated reports of each specialty.
- Knowledge of Terminal Digit filing system and EHR system highly desirable but not required.
- Ability to learn or prior knowledge of requirements of California Patient Access Law, California Medical Information Act, and requirements for HIPPA is required.
- Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate in the English language is required.
- Ability to learn color-coded Terminal Digit filing system where required.
- Intermediate computer skills are required.
- Ability to understand logic associated with computerized interfaces beneficial to this position.
- Basic understanding of medical terminology and anatomy required.
- Skill in reading and applying Court instructions of Release of Information for subpoenaed medical information.
- Excellent customer service skills are required.
- Ability to deal effectively with unhappy, frustrated, patients in a positive and constructive manner is required.
- Ability to prioritize time sensitive issues required.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to complete work meeting required deadlines are important skills for this position.
- The ability to work independently and be a self-starter is required.
- Ability to work cohesively in an office environment with little direct supervision required.
- Computer skill are required for this position.
Employee Status: Temporary
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
Additional Location: Palo Alto, California
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started