Fieldwork Coordinator; Assistant/Associate Professor (Oakland Campus)Job ID SMU-2117861 Date Posted 10/06/2021 Location Oakland, California Schedule/Shift Full Time/ Day
To start as soon as possible with the expectation of spending time with the current academic Fieldwork Coordinator for training in the details of the job, in a part-time position, moving into a full-time position in the academic year 2021/2022. In the academic year 2022/2023 (September) this position will be full-time as the lead Fieldwork Coordinator.
The position requires this individual to plan, organize, initiate, evaluate and oversee the clinical education component of the doctor of occupational therapy curriculum including necessary paperwork, and communication with students, with potential clinical educations, and with faculty. The Academic Fieldwork coordinator (AFC) is responsible for the program’s compliance with the fieldwork requirements of Standard Section C.1.0 and will be assigned a full-time core position in the OT department. The AFC develops relationships with the fieldwork agencies, tracks contracts and Fieldwork Data Sheets between fieldwork sites and the college, sets up fieldwork assignments working with students and the agencies, tracks student progress in meeting the fieldwork objectives, tracks fieldwork data regarding students and clinical sites, provides annual educational events for the fieldwork educators, and communicates students board eligibility with the National Board of Certification of Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). In addition to the fieldwork courses, Level I and Level II, the AFC may teach selected academic courses as long as this does not interfere with the management and administration of the fieldwork program. The workload units allow for fulltime work in fieldwork only with an additional .80 FTE to allow this person the ability to have others assist with fieldwork.
Duties and Responsibilities (Time Allocated):
Other duties may be assigned. An asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
- *(30%) Plans, organizes, initiates, and evaluates the clinical education component of the entry-level doctoral degree program in occupational therapy in keeping with the mission and goals of SMU, regional and professional accreditation standards, and generally accepted norms in higher education.
- *(10%)Oversees the administrative aspects of the clinical education component of the curriculum including necessary paperwork, documentation, and the initiation of contracts.
- *(5%) Participates in curriculum development of the entry level doctoral degree program and master degree in Occupational Therapy.
- *(10%) Identifies, recruits and secures sites for clinical education, including both fieldwork and capstone placements. Monitors the quality and appropriateness of clinical education sites. Assigns students to Level I and Level II fieldwork assignments in collaboration with students. Works with core faculty and students to secure and assign capstone placements in the OTD program.
- (10%) Develops, and modifies (when appropriate) learning objectives that are consistent with the didactic curriculum and clinical sites. Provides course instruction in fieldwork courses and may be assigned other teaching responsibilities as long as these do not interfere with the management and administration of the fieldwork program.
- *(20%) Counsels, advise, and arbitrates with students and fieldwork educators. Orients students to responsibilities and protocol for fieldwork. Communicates with fieldwork educators and the chairperson of the department for which they serve, as appropriate and, particularly, during the period of time students assigned.
- (5%) Assists the Program Director with relevant budget issues as related to fieldwork a fieldwork program planning.
- (10%) Develops and maintains an updated Fieldwork Manual and other relevant written materials for students and Fieldwork Educators. Assures that fieldwork functions are carried out according to the AOTA Occupational Therapy Code of Ethics (2015) and Standards of Practice AOTA, 1998) of the profession.
Supervisory and Responsibilities:
- Directly supervises clerical support work-study student, clerical support staff and any faculty assigned to assist in the fieldwork duties as needed.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include hiring and training work-study employee; planning, assigning and direction work; resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- This individual must be an occupational therapist licensed in California and hold a doctoral degree awarded by an institution that is accredited by a USDE-recognized regional accrediting body. The positon is open to an occupational therapist new to academia up to associate professor level.
Skill and Abilities:
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets relevant professional materials, journals, and relevant government regulations as pertain to student fieldwork. Knowledge and experience in using word processor programs, Excel, and effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Physical Effort Required:
- Ability to perform deskwork, however, must be mobile
- Light lifting required
- Ability to express and exchange ideas
- Ability to receive detailed information through communication
- Ability to push pull, climb, stoop, bend, and stand
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours:4 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled:Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Other
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period:40
Applications Accepted:All Applications Accepted
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started