Patient Access RepresentativeJob ID SAH-2020630 Date Posted 01/13/2021 Location Jackson, California Schedule/Shift Per Diem/ Variable
Serves as the face to face point of contact for the patient at a client location. Obtains all necessary information to register and financially clear patients. Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies relevant information in the process of registering financially clearing patients for service delivery. Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions by serving as the customer service point of contact at the point of service by demonstrating knowledge of Sutter's Health system and service offerings. Responsible for supporting the success of a high-performing shared services organization by helping to champion and drive the long-term MFSS vision. Helps foster an environment in which continuous improvement in business processes and services is welcomed and recognized. Participates in programs and in using tools in support of building a high performance culture via the standard MFSS responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement, people development, customer relationship management, etc.).
- Greets patients/family members and obtains and/or verifies demographic, clinical, financial, and insurance information in the process of financially clearing patients for service delivery, including the entry of patient/guarantor information in the patient registration/accounting systems, collection of patient signatures on all appropriate forms and the imaging/copying of registration documents.
- Utilizes inputs to authenticate and register patients for service delivery for patients who have registered through the Patient Access Center; for those who are not registered, completes the end-to-end process of registration through close-out for service delivery
- Obtains and processes signed physician orders
- Maintains assigned work queue’s
- Conducts insurance eligibility/benefit verification, referral/authorization, and financial education on designated accounts
- Calculates estimated patient liability, informs patient/guarantor and actively collects appropriate patient liabilities, including co-payments, deductibles, and deposits at time of service and/or processes patient payments, accepts payments on prior services.
- Refers appropriate cases to financial counseling for follow-up and consultation
- Executes other duties as assigned, such as cashiering, bed management, and communications operator
- Enhances the patient experience throughout all patient interactions, which will be face-to-face or by other means of communication, demonstrating knowledge of Sutter’s Health system and service offerings.
- Supports the implementation of programs, policies, initiatives, and tools specific to the Shared Services Organizational process owned by Patient Access across the Shared Services Organization.
- Contributes ideas and actions towards the continuous improvement of Patient Access related processes within area of influence
- Adaptable to learning new processes, concepts, and skills Seeks and responds to regular performance feedback from team lead; provides upward feedback as needed
- Ensures delivery of business results by meeting or exceeding all individual operating metrics
- Plans and organizes work so Individual Operating Metrics and Service Level Agreement objectives are realized Recognizes and communicates potential issues to team leader as appropriate
- Registration Department Patient Satisfaction Scores will be maintained according to Hospital he Shared Services Patient Access
Admitting Department Metrics for the following categories:
- Performs revenue cycle tasks necessary to ensure compliance and exceptional customer service
- Authenticates patient identity throughout all processes
- May provide directional support to patients and/or family members
- Maintains knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Standards of Conduct, Standards of Behavior, as well as Sutter policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior
- In initial year, participates in cross-training and job enlargement opportunities for major job responsibilities. Works with direct supervisor to identify minor set of responsibilities to develop and perform in support of peaks, valleys and cycles across the Shared Services Organization and individual career growth opportunities. Performs both Major and Minor responsibilities after initial year
- Meet the department monthly cash goal
- Maintains positive work relationships with members of other teams in the Shared Services Organization to communicate effectively and to ensure compliance with cross-team responsibilities Assists in ensuring efforts of the Patient Access Client Location Team support building strong peer-to-peer relationships
- High School Diploma / GED – required.
- Associate’s Degree (AA / AS) – preferred.
- Completion of regulatory/mandatory certifications and skills validation competencies – preferred.
- Experience within a hospital or clinic environment, an insurance company, managed care organization or other financial service setting, performing financial counseling, financial clearance and/or customer service activities as typically acquired in two years – required.
Skills and Knowledge:
- General knowledge of patient access, financial counseling, functions in acute, and non-acute settings preferred.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology desired.
- Working knowledge and understanding of insurance terminology desired.
- EMTALA and Consent Laws knowledge.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage frequent in-person patient contacts while effective maintaining and documenting data in the patient registration systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multiple computer systems, such as patient registration/accounting systems, telephone consoles, document imaging, scanning, payment posting, proprietary payer websites and data quality monitoring, both accurately and efficiently.
- Strong data entry skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and active listening skills.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Must possess a personal presence, which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Sutter Health.
- Accuracy and attentiveness to detail required.
- Strong decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to set and organize own work priorities, and adapt to change.
- Must be able to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in an environment that may be stressful with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles.
- Ability to meet or exceed targeted customer service, productivity and quality standards.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Variable
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Saturday-Sunday
Schedule: Per Diem
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: Per Diem
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started