Community Nurse Case Manager Bay AreaJob ID MPHS-2021705 Date Posted 01/13/2021 Location Burlingame, California Schedule/Shift Full Time/ Day
The Case Manager is responsible for Care Coordination, Care Transitions, Discharge/Transition Planning and Utilization Management throughout the acute care patient experience. Case Manager coordinates care at admission and throughout the stay to ensure that patient outcomes are optimal, that evidence based care guidelines are followed and documented and the organization's costs are controlled. Case managers are both patients' advocate and the organization's stewards. The objective is to optimize the use of hospital resources by supporting timely patient movement to the appropriate level of care in a manner that supports patient/family. The Case Manager uses standardized criteria to evaluate admission, level of care and readiness for discharge. Discharge/Transition planning is provided for all patients to assess post discharge needs and to resolve transition care issues and barriers impeding progress towards goals. The Case Manager helps drive change by identifying areas where performance improvement is needed. The Case Manager works in collaboration with the Medical Social worker and interdisciplinary team to assure timeliness in care coordination and discharge planning throughout the hospital stay. Oversees the management of acute patient populations across the care continuum with primary focus to provide coordinated, timely and integrated care.
The Case Management Department embraces the Scope of Services adopted by the American Case Management Association which states: "Case Management in Hospital and Health Care Systems is a collaborative practice model including patients, nurses, social workers, physicians and other practitioners, caregivers and the community. The Case Management process encompasses communication and facilitates care along a continuum through effective resource coordination. The goals of Case Management include the achievement of optimal health access to care and appropriate utilization of resources, balanced with the patient's right to self-determination."
- Bachelor's BSN - Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required
- Master's, Master’s in nursing, case management or other health related field preferred
- Master's - In lieu of 3 years clinical experience noted below, Master’s degree in Case Management with clinical residency from acute medical/surgical practice area at a Sutter Health Affiliate required
Licensures and Certifications
- Registered Nurse - State Licensure – RN Required
- RNC Case Management - RNC-CM National Certification in Case Management (i.e. ACM, ANA RN-BC Case Management) upon hire or within 18 months of hire date for experienced case managers. Newly trained case managers: National certification as noted above, within 24 months of hire. 1 1/2 Yrs preferred
- Three or more year’s clinical experience in acute medical/surgical or critical care practice area required
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal communication and negotiation skills.
- A broad knowledge base of health care delivery and case management within a managed care environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Utilization Review, levels of care, and observation status
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment in interactions with physicians, payors, and patients and their families.
- Demonstrates commitment to service excellence in all patient, family and employee interactions and in performing all job duties.
- Performs duties in a manner to promote quality patient care and customer service/satisfaction, while promoting safety, cost efficiency, and a commitment to the CQI process.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as evidenced by capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components.
- Strong PC skills.
- Working knowledge of Inter-Qual criteria.
- Ability to promote teamwork and to effectively function in teams.
- Ability to interact effectively with key internal and external constituents using collaboration, and customer service skills that promote excellence in patient experience.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, directing patient care services within and external to hospital setting.
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started