Systems Administrator IIJob ID SMU-2105177 Date Posted 04/02/2021 Location Oakland, California Schedule/Shift Full Time/ Day
Under general direction, a Systems Administrator II performs a variety of complex professional duties in providing information systems and technology support for the achievement of the University mission and objectives; administers, maintains operating stability and efficiency and ensures the security of the University’s enterprise information systems; conducts technology research; deploys and configures new hardware and software provides user support.
By maintaining high standards of excellence, helps the University fulfill its mission by working cooperatively with colleagues and business partners, providing professional quality customer service and technical expertise, and applying the principles of continuous quality improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the class.
25% Windows Server Administration
Installs, upgrades, configures, tests, maintains and supports operating system software in a production environment; Administers automated patch management of Windows Server Operating Systems. Reviews performance logs and monitors system performance; troubleshoots and resolves system hardware, software and communications problems; creates shell programs and utility scripts; performs automated and manual backup and restore processes
20% Data Center Administration
Collaborates with the Infrastructure & Systems Manager to develop best practices for data center administration; monitors, analyzes and remediates hardware on enterprise class computer servers and appliances; maintains system health and environmental monitoring processes, and establishes notification protocols for data center incidents; coordinates infrastructure upgrades and fixes based on institutional change management procedures
20% Enterprise Communications Administration
Administers the University's MS Exchange Messaging and Communication Platform; develops and maintains integration with off-premise message stores and shared calendaring systems; maintains integrity, performance, and security of institutional email systems; manages email threat detection/prevention systems; monitors and remediates global domain reputation
15% Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
Develops best practices rapid recovery of critical systems following major incidents; monitors and remediates disk health on enterprise systems; develops and implements plans for regular enterprise data backup processes; develops data restoration procedures.
15% Computer Inventory Management
Administers enterprise system management tools for the collection of hardware and software inventory data using System Center Configuration Manager; generates management reports for budget forecasting, software license compliance, and lifecycle management; manages deployment of security patches and virus/malware definition updates to computers on the domain; develops processes for deploying computer software and configuration updates.
5% Backup to Infrastructure & Systems Manager
Performs basic duties of the Infrastructure & Systems Manager during times of absence
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to support Microsoft Windows Servers, VMWare Enterprise ESX Servers, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Storage based systems (EMC and Tintri), Cisco UCS Platform, e-mail archiving, Office365 and enterprise monitoring systems with expert competence.
- Ability to support enterprise class computer server hardware, network storage appliances, data backup devices, power management equipment, data rack enclosures, network cabling patch panels, wire management accessories, and network cable endpoint nodes with expert competence.
- Knowledge of the systems development life cycle, structured analysis and design techniques, user requirement definition, interviewing and data collection techniques and PC-based packages used in development and/or support of production systems, conversion activities, testing methodologies and implementation procedures.
- Strong analytical, organizational and planning skills; ability to work under pressure in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from all levels within the University.
- Display professionalism in the performance of all duties by demonstrating cooperation, courtesy and sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all departmental and institutional information.
- Possess the ability to work with little supervision in a fast-paced environment, as well as handle many different projects and activities at once
- Able to develop and document policy, procedures, training, and functional requirements
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field required.
- Minimum seven years of experience in the development and support of network servers, data center administration, and information technology security.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Windows Server, SCCM, Exchange, Active Directory, enterprise backup solutions, network attached storage solutions, and server virtualization required.
- MCSE certification preferred
- VMWare VCP or VCAP certification preferred
Physical Effort Required
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to travel/move, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and communicate.
- Ability to lift 70 pounds.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
Applications Accepted: All Applications Accepted
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started