Student Health Coordinator (Oakland Campus)Job ID SMU-2102911 Date Posted 02/23/2021 Location Oakland, California Schedule/Shift Full Time/ Day
Under the supervision and general direction of the Director of Student Health and Counseling Center, provide high-level administrative support and manage the daily operations of the Student Health and Counseling Center. This position is responsible for overseeing the customer service given at the front desk, ensuring that individuals who staff the front desk will provide exceptional care on a consistent basis to all who seek service, as well as maintaining an accurate and up-to-date student health records database on all Samuel Merritt University students and monitor student compliance with all University health requirements.
This position requires strong leadership and performance in a wide variety of complex and specialized administrative duties to support the office functions and efficient operation of a busy University Health and Counseling Center. The desired candidate will have a sincere interest in student health and wellness, excellent interpersonal skills, exceptional organizational and supervisory abilities, pleasant demeanor, mature judgment, and professional approach in dealing with various constituents. This individual should be team oriented, experienced in supporting multiple people in a busy office environment, able to work independently, able to exercise considerable discretion and judgment in all work areas, and have an ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a wide variety of people with diverse backgrounds. Applicants should possess diplomacy, tact, cultural sensitivity, the ability to adhere to strict student privacy and confidentiality regulations, and honor the institution’s commitment to diversity.
Job Duties and Accountabilities: (all items listed below are considered “essential job functions” for ADA purposes).
60% Office Management - Administrative Operations and Procedures
Manage and supervise the daily business operations and workflow of the department, including:
- Serving as the point of contact and office manager for the department, providing exceptional customer service, maintaining a pleasant, professional office atmosphere and appropriately meeting, greeting, and assessing the needs of students, staff, faculty, and guests.
- Executing complex and time sensitive administrative tasks such as answering phones, filing, faxing, emailing, scheduling medical and counseling appointments for students, managing staff schedules and appointments, scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel accommodations for staff, and managing time cards of departmental staff and student workers.
- Maintaining customer confidence and protect operations by keeping all health and counseling records and information confidential, adhering to all HIPAA and FERPA regulations.
- Developing, implementing and executing office policies and procedures to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness of the department and service to the University community, including the creation and/or updating of the office procedure manual.
- Monitoring and evaluating program and department goals, objectives, achievements, and effectiveness including collecting, analyzing and maintaining health information, student records, and statistical data to assist in strategic planning and develop process improvement activities.
- Professionally representing the Health and Counseling Center at on and off campus or virtual University events.
- Monitor and prepare budgetary forms for authorized signatures, handle invoicing, payment processing and recording of payments. Maintain and update budget reports and assist in budget planning by providing annual and multi-year reports
- Establish and monitor the ordering schedule and maintenance of medial and office supplies and equipment, anticipating needed supplies, evaluating new office products, placing and expediting orders for supplies, and verifying receipt of supplies.
- Learn and apply emerging technologies and advances as necessary to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner (e.g. Electronic Medical Records systems, electronic databases, editing and updating the University’s Student Health and Counseling website).
- Ensure operation of office equipment (e.g. FAX machine, copiers) by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshoot malfunctions, calling for repairs maintaining equipment inventories and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
25% Student Health Requirements and Insurance
- Evaluate, manage and process the collection of student health forms; Verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance; Maximize timely input of student demographic, health, and immunization data into the Student Health Portal. Deliver involved student health requirements to students, faculty and staff.
- Direct the interaction with students, academic departments, Admissions, and Registrar’s Office to procure data needed to keep the database current and accurate.*
- Supervise the creation, maintenance and retention of office files and maintains confidential files; assist in maintaining databases and mailing lists of faculty and students.
- Generate regular database queries, analyze reports, and establish timelines for tracking students to ensure compliance with health requirements.*
- Identify students who are non-compliant or have approaching due dates for various health requirements and direct the follow-up and reminder process*; Manage the process of placing and removing registration holds.*
- Attend orientations to communicate entrance requirements.
- Interview, train, and supervise Work-Study students.
- Delegate responsibility to Work-Study students for daily office tasks and project assistance, which include (but not limited to):
- Serving as the first interface on Student Health and Counseling Center topics, such as hours of operation, location, appointments, health requirements, services, fees, etc.
- Screening specific questions for the Student Health and Counseling Center ‘s professional staff
- Answering and returning phone calls and checking voicemail.
- Updating the Student Health and Counseling Center database and inputting data for special projects.
- Sending and retrieving faxes.
- Running errands on campus to pick up mail and supplies, produce mass photocopies, and hand deliver reports and other documents.
5% Other Projects
- Manage the reconfiguration of the database on an on-going basis to improve function and reporting processes; work in collaboration with the contracted programmer, providing direction and feedback for database changes.*
- Perform basic system maintenance functions and identify computer problems to ensure proper working order of the database; communicate effectively and work with IT staff or the contracted programmer.
- Monitor questions or issues to create proactive communication strategies to educate the University community, such as updating the interface of the EHR, creating flyers and brochures, submitting articles, and utilizing the University website, e-mail, and other means of interface.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and special meetings with faculty and/or staff members.
- Represent the Director by attending meetings in the Director's absence, when required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Health Administration, or related field required
- Three or more years of broad experience in positions of increased responsibility, preferably in a medical office or healthcare environment
- Excellent communication, organizational, and computer skills; must exhibit tact, discretion, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work as a team player.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers, including word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, internet, and desktop publishing (e.g., Microsoft Office applications). Ability to create, manage, and maintain a complex database and to query database and produce reports.
- Exhibit technical and analytical expertise with ability to conduct arithmetic and algebraic equations, read graphs, and create mathematical formulas in analyzing data.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to effectively present information and respond to problems and questions in a timely manner.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with strong organizational skills, excellent concentration, and attention to detail.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff of Samuel Merritt University, Summit Medical Center, and the public.
- Must maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to perform deskwork and sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate and exchange ideas with students, faculty, and staff.
- Physical ability to lift 20 pounds, to move office files, supplies, and equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Based on the national and local county guidelines regarding University reopening, the position can work remotely 1-5 days/week. While in office, social distancing and safety measures including PPEs, plexiglass shields will be accommodated. Screening questionnaires and temperature check will also be required at main University entrance.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
Applications Accepted: All Applications Accepted
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started