Clinical Laboratory Scientist ***$10,000 Sign-On-Bonus ***Job ID R-38916 Date Posted 05/26/2023 Location Berkeley, California Schedule/Shift/Weekly Hours Regular/Days/40
Position Overview:May be required to perform tests in all areas of the Clinical Laboratory including, but not limited to: Blood bank, Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, Urinalysis and limited Microbiology . Calibrates and naintains all Clinical Laboratory instruments. Troubleshoots all instruments and/or methods as needed. Performs all necessary record keeping, quality control surveillance and problem resolution on instruments and methods. Performs specimen processing and clerical functions as needed. Must be capable of performing efficiently under pressure and perform selected tests in a STAT time frame. In Blood Bank, must be capable of resolving antibody problems, ABO discrepancies, prepare components, select appropriate blood for transfusion, and identify and work up transfusion reactions.
Hematology and Chemistry
• Perform diagnostic procedures accurately and reliably on samples submitted to the Clinical Laboratory following department procedures and protocols.
• Prepare reagents, controls, and standards necessary for the proper operation of instrumentation and testing of samples.
• Review results and report tests in a timely manner and within the required turn around times established by the laboratory .
• Evaluate quality control daily, look for shifts/trends.
• Perform quality control checks, proficiency tests, reagent parallel testing, maintain the records for all tests, and take corrective action if necessary.
• Responsible for operation and maintenance of automated instrumentation including troubleshooting and scheduled preventative maintenance for all equipment in the section.
• Uses established basic troubleshooting protocols and procedures to identify and solve problems.
• Maintain supply and reagent inventory.
• Operate computer terminals and instrument interfaces.
• Print and monitor department logs.
• Enter patient results via the laboratory computer system (if system is down, results are entered via the laboratory manual system). Call critical results in a timely manner.
• Assist medical, nursing, and laboratory staff with questions regarding laboratory test selection and results.
• Technologist must comply with the regulations published in the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Safety Manual.
• Technologist must comply with all biohazardous precautions outlined in the Clinical Laboratory Procedure Manuals.
• Report problems and/or concerns to a Manager immediately.
The incumbent's tasks may change periodically to eventually include all of the following:
• ABO/Rh type of patient and donor blood.
• Direct and indirect coombs.
• Crossmatch blood to determine compatibility status between donor and recipient by routine and special techniques.
• Preparations of solutions, standard reagents and laboratory supplies.
• Production of blood components : pooled cryo-ppts, pooled plasma and aliquots units for newborn transfusion .
• Red cell phenotyping/genotyping.
• Perform pre-natal testing, and antibody titers.
• Irradiation of blood components .
• Antibody identification by routine and special techniques: Neutralization, cold panels, enzyme panel, selected-cell panels, auto absorption.
• Performance of basic and more detailed transfusion reaction workups .
• Performance of daily control: Testing the reactivity of daily red cells and antisera, temperatures of incubators and refrigerators and inspection of all blood components .
• Performance of equipment quality control: Functional calibration of cellwashers, serofuges , and centrifuges ; temperature checks for freezer , refrigerator, platelet rotator, incubators , Rh view boxes, waterbaths , cold packs and temperature alarm and range testing
• Participation in CAP surveys.
• Maintenance of adequate stock of antisera , blood components , and supplies .
• Performance of clerical duties such as: Completing laboratory report forms, checking historical ABO/Rh, typings and crossmatch records, review of all daily worksheets , and filing of forms.
• Problem solving: Duties follow generally established procedures . However, the blood bank manual has a large number of procedures and they represent considerable detail. The incumbent would be expected to proceed with a minimal amount of assistance with referral of questions to the Manager or the Pathologist.
• Accountability: The technologist is accountable for the accuracy and completeness of all work performed and the results reported. Once written (computer) reports leave the laboratory , they are assumed to be correct. Any errors may be high injurious or fatal to the patient. The incumbent is accountable for all materials, equipment , supplies, and general cleanliness of the Blood Bank.
The incumbent's task may include the following:
o Enzyme immunoassay tests
o Gram stain
o Wet mounts
o Culture setup
▪ Blood cultures B. CLIA Requirements (a) Each individual performing high complex testing must -
• Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results;
• Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in same manner as patient specimens;
• Adhere to laboratory's QC policies, document all QC activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed;
• Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within laboratory 's established acceptable levels of performance.
• Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct problems or immediately notify the general supervisor, technical supervisor , clinical consultant, or director;
• Document all corrective action taken when test systems deviate from laboratory's established performance specs.
Equivalent experience will be accepted in lieu of the required degree or diploma.
Other: One year internship in an approved Clinical Laboratory Scientist Program leading to licensure by the State of California
- CLIA Specific
- Each individual performing high complexity testing must;
Possess a current license issued by the state in which the laboratory 1s located, if such licensing is required;
Meet one of the following requirements :
- Be a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy licensed to practice medicine or osteopathy in the state in which the laboratory is located or have earned a doctoral, master's or bachelor's degree in chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution or
- Have earned an associated degree in a chemical, physical or biological science or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution; or
- Have previously qualified or could have qualified as a technologist under 42 CFR 493.1433 published in March 14, 1990 (55 FR 9538), on or before February 28, 1992.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
Current California Laboratory Technologist License required
OR MD-Doctor of Medicine
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AS TYPICALLY ACQUIRED IN:
Recent experience in a laboratory including Hematology, Blood Bank, and Chemistry.
Knowledge of an recent experience with automated analyzers including maintenance and troubleshooting.
Knowledge and understanding of quality control and necessary record keeping.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Good organizational skills.
Good communication skills.
Ability to prioritize work in a stressful environment. Strong interpersonal skills.
Ability to absorb and accept changing regulations.
Ability to training new CLS staff members, CLS students, and Laboratory Assistants.
Pay Range: $58.67 - $72.95 / hour
The salary range for this role may vary above or below the posted range as determined by location. This range has not been adjusted for any specific geographic differential applicable by area where the position may be filled. Compensation takes into account several factors including but not limited to a candidate’s experience, education, skills, licensure and certifications, department equity, training and organizational needs. Base pay is just one piece of the total rewards program offered by Sutter Health. Eligible roles also qualify for a comprehensive benefits package.
Days of the Week:
Number of Openings:0
Sutter Health is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment. Applicants for specific positions are still required to disclose certain convictions during the application process, and those convictions may also be considered in determining eligibility for employment in accordance with applicable law.Apply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started