Medical Laboratory TechnicianJob ID SRMC-2110898 Date Posted 07/22/2021 Location Roseville, California Schedule/Shift Per Diem/ Variable
The Medical Laboratory Technician performs phlebotomy, specimen processing and other pre-analytic laboratory procedures. Working under the direction of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), performs analytic and post-analytic procedures classified as waived and moderate complexity in most areas of the laboratory.
Excluded from scope of position: high complexity testing including microscopy (within scope: urinalysis including microscopy), flow cytometry,immunohematology (within scope: allocation and component preparation of non-red cell blood products), arterial blood draws and skin tests for specific diseases
- All accountabilities are performed under the direct supervision of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS)
- Ensures accurate and timely results for waived and moderate complexity tests by performing quality control and patient testing, maintaining laboratory equipment and by resolving/troubleshooting problems.
- Performs analytic procedures, including testing of specimens, reviewing results and interpreting results.
- Performs post-analytic procedures, including result release/reporting, result correction/amendment, responding to inquiries, and specimen storage and retrieval.
- Performs pre-analytic procedures, including test order entry, specimen collection (e.g. venipuncture), specimen processing.
In addition to the key accountabilities listed, employees working in this position are expected to accept and perform other duties as requested.
- This includes, but is not limited to, handling blood products, selecting and preparing non-red cell components and issuing all blood components.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Education / Licensure/ Certification/ Registration
- AA degree (or at least 60 semester units) in chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science from an accredited college or university is required.
- California State Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) license is required.
- Current experience as an MLT in one or more sections of the laboratory is highly desirable. Proficiency with hospital and/or laboratory information systems is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of theory and test application of clinical chemistry, hematology and coagulation is required.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a complex, fast paced environment and take appropriate actions in emergent situations.
- Must be able to work within established timeframes , with attention to detail and accuracy.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Variable
Shift Hours:8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled:Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Rotating
Schedule: Per Diem
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period:Per Diem
Applications Accepted:All Applications Accepted
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/VeteransApply Apply Later
Fraud Alert: Please be aware of scams involving fraudulent job postings ...Learn more
Find a Career at Sutter
Our employees are shaping the future of healthcare. Find a career at Sutter.Get Started